So you bought a serial infrared camera from Adafruit running VC0706 chip, you want to know how to use it?
1. ssh into your Pi: ssh email@example.com (address of your Pi) then enter your usename and password.
2. Prepare your Raspberry Pi GPIO UART serial pins. Turn them off as serial console, so you can use it for devices.
sudo cp /boot/cmdline.txt /boot/cmdline_backup.txt
sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
So your file will contain:
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
3. Connect your camera to the following pins
TxD is on pin 8, GPIO14 (serial output 3V3 logic), connect it with green wire of the camera
RxD is on pin 10, GPIO15 (serial input 3V3 logic), connect it with white wire of the camera
+5V connect to red wire
GND connect to black wire
Ignore the yellow and brown wires, these are for direct connection to your CCTV monitor.
4. Restart your device:
5. Download the following python code from LinuxCircle repo into your /home/pi folder: https://github.com/LinuxCircle/vc0706_camera
6. In your pi home directory /home/pi/ create image folder for bigger size pics:
Create another image folder for smaller size pics:
7. Run the program: